Amsterdam Expats

Work in Amsterdam

Before you go to work it is important to find out if you need a work permit. When you are a non-EU/EEA-, Bulgarian- or Romanian citizen, you might need a work permit. EU/EEA citizens and knowledge migrants do not need a permit.
A permit can be obtained at the Centrum voor Werk en Inkomen (Center for Work and Income). Expats cannot obtain a work permit themselves. Employers have to arrange such a permit.
A work permit is valid for a specific period of time with a maximum of 3 years.