Amsterdam Expats

Organisation of moving to, and working in the Netherlands

In this section of the website you can find rulings and laws applying to the process of becoming an Amsterdam expat. Moreover, other important things that have to be arranged like a working permit and finances are assimilated in this section.

Before you come to Amsterdam

If you come from an EU/EEA country or Switzerland, you are allowed to stay in the Netherlands for three months. During this time working is not allowed. This rule makes it possible to arrange many things when you are already in the Netherlands.
Expats who come from a non-EU/EEA country, will first require an Authorisation for Temporary Stay or 'Machtiging Voorlopig Verblijf' (MVV). A MVV can be obtained at a Dutch diplomatic or consular representative in the country of residence. With this MVV expats can travel to the Netherlands to arrange a residence permit.


What do you have to arrange before you are permitted to live in Amsterdam?
Working in Amsterdam is bound to certain rules. You can find more information about them here.
Site with more information about financial topics like banking, insurance and taxes.